In 2020, the US saw the organic food sales increase to a new record high of $56.4 billion, according to the Organic Trade Association. So, consumer demand is there, but what does being certified organic really mean? At olamnuts.com, when we say organic, we mean the nuts, seeds and other ingredients we sell to customers have been grown or processed following the United States Department of Agriculture’s Organic Production and Handling Standards. Including, but not limited to:
- Using organic seeds and other planting stock as prescribed
- All organic operations comply with all requirements in the USDA organic regulations
- Lands comply with the usage of non-prohibited substances for cultivation, at least 3 years to the date before the harvest of an organic crop
- The organic standards state that there are specific requirements that must be met and verified by a USDA accredited certifying agent before the company labels them to be organic
- Soil fertility and crop nutrients should be managed through tillage, and prescribed cultivation practices, crop rotations, and cover crops supplemented with allowable animal & crop manure and prescribed synthetic organic materials
- Pests, weeds and crop diseases should be controlled primarily through USDA-prescribed management practices – physical, mechanical and biological mechanisms. Alternatively, biological, botanical, or synthetic substances approved for use on the national list may be used
- Use of genetically modified seeds, ionizing, radiation and sewage sludge is prohibited
Our factories are also certified to process organic ingredients. Organic certification services are accredited by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP). Organic certifying bodies such as Control Union / CCOF have certified the farms and the related supply chains, operations and processing facilities to ensure organic integrity.
Check out our organic nuts and seeds here. These certifications are available on the product page under the certifications tab. Kindly reach out to us at US-EN-CustomerSupport@olamnet.com if you have any questions. *Please note that only products labeled "organic" on olamnuts.com are certified organic.